Otter.ai Pro Licensing: Ceasing Central Funding
UVA is significantly reducing the number of Otter Pro licenses available to the University community through central funding beginning August 1, 2023. After this date, licenses will be available for accommodations and special circumstances only. License requests will be approved by the Student Disability Access Center for students or the Coordinator for Academic Accessibility for instructors and staff members. Email Lori Kressin, the Coordinator for Academic Accessibility, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
There are a few alternative options and tools that you can explore:
- Downgrade to Otter’s Free Basic Plan, which allows you 300 minutes/month. We encourage you to review Otter’s Pricing & Feature Changes FAQs to understand the features of the Basic plan and what will happen to your recordings when you downgrade.
- Purchase your own Otter Pro plan to maintain your current service.
- Ava is a tool that uses professional captioners and artificial intelligence to provide live captioning for any meeting—both large and small, in person and online, scheduled or last minute. There is a free plan with limited features.
- Descript is a tool that allows users to write, record, transcribe, edit, collaborate, and share videos and podcasts. There is a free plan with limited features.
- Zoom has built-in features for captioning and transcription.
- Use the built-in dictation/recording features on your operating system (i.e., iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows).
Join the discussion